Thursday, June 11, 2009

Suu Kyi ‘will not accept’ lawyer disqualification

(DVB)–The lawyers of Aung San Suu Kyi are deciding whether to take to a higher court an appeal to allow her remaining two defence witnesses to testify in her trial, follow dismay from Suu Kyi at the disqualification.

Last month the Burmese court disqualified three of Suu Kyi’s witnesses for unspecified reasons, leaving her with just one. The prosecution team was allowed to call 14 witnesses.

Following an appeal by her lawyers, the court on Tuesday readmitted one more witness.

The four lawyers for Suu Kyi yesterday met with her and her two caretakers, who are also on trial, inside Rangoon’s Insein prison where she is being held.

“We mainly discussed the case of her two witnesses who remained disqualified by a decision from the divisional court,” said lawyer Nyan Win.

“Daw Aung San Suu Kyi said she wouldn’t accept the decision as it was legally wrong and urged us to go further [with the appeal].”

Suu Kyi also reportedly expressed frustration at the court barring people from carrying out maintenance on her house, where she was kept under house arrest prior to her trial, despite the order that barred visits to the house being lifted last month.

“The security guards at the check point near her house said they still haven’t received order from their supervisors to allow people to go in,” he said.

“Daw Aung San Suu Kyi was very unhappy to hear that; she said it was very unfair and unlawful.”

Reporting by Naw Say Phaw

Recent Posts from Burma Wants Freedom and Democracy

Recent posts from WHO is WHO in Burma


The Nuke Light of Myanmar Fan Box
The Nuke Light of Myanmar on Facebook
Promote your Page too