Thursday, May 28, 2009

What did Yettaw discuss with Bo Kyi?

Chiang Mai (Mizzima) – In a testimony given in the special court hearing of the case in Insein prison yesterday, the American John William Yettaw who swam across the Innya Lake and sneaked into detained leader Daw Aung San Suu Kyi’s residence testified that he once met Bo Kyi from Thai based ‘Association for Assistance to Political Prisoners – Burma (AAPPB).

Mizzima’s reporter Ko Wild interviewed Bo Kyi to find out about what matters they discussed during their meeting.

Q. We heard that Yettaw met you during his visit to the Thai-Burma border. Is it true?

A. Yes, certainly, he met me. We can say he visited AAPP. He came and discussed about political prisoners and he visited our exhibition too.

Q. When did you meet him?

A. Last year. I am not sure of the date or month anymore, I think it was was in November or December last year.

Q. By which name did he introduce himself to you. Was it the name Yettaw?

A. Yes, he told me a name but as you know, we cannot remember and memorize these foreign names.

Q. Did you recognize him when you see the photograph of Mr. Yettaw?

A. When I first saw him in the newspapers, I seemingly recognized him. And then when he talked about writing a book, then I remembered and recognized this man whom I saw here before.

Q. What are the things that you discussed with him?

A. I discussed with him mainly issues of political prisoners, the current situation, about my experience, the experiences of other persons among other things. He also said that he would write a book mainly on the issues of the people persecuted and tortured. He asked me if we would take revenge on these perpetrators. I told him that we would not take revenge on these people and we can forgive them. We are striving for restoration of democracy and human rights in our country. We are not doing it for taking revenge against them. I discussed with him things like that.

Q. Yettaw swam across and entered Daw Aung San Suu Kyi’s house. Did he discuss about this plan with you during your meeting with him?

A. No, I don’t know about it. He didn’t say anything about this plan to me.

Recent Posts from Burma Wants Freedom and Democracy

Recent posts from WHO is WHO in Burma

THE NUKE LIGHT OF MYANMAR

The Nuke Light of Myanmar Fan Box
The Nuke Light of Myanmar on Facebook
Promote your Page too